Avocado Trees

Potted Avocado Tree

Peanut169_98 added on June 15, 2011 | Answered

I started an avocado tree from a pit about 9 months ago. It's now almost 5 feet tall. I believe the pot size is around 5 gallons. My question is in the leaves. The leaves along the main stem/trunk are drooping severely. It has no branches, only leaves. It continues to grow upward, but not outward. Is there something I can do to fix the droopiness? Should I prune the lower leaves? The tree is sharing a pot with a Moon Valley house plant that grew with it in a smaller pot. The roots of the two plants are very tangled and I was unable to separate them. They both seem to be doing well, other than the seemingly unnatural form of the tree. The leaves look great, just droopy. Please help. Thanks.

If you nip off the top 1/2 inch of the tree, this will force it to start branching out. This is a common issue with avocados and this will correct that.

As to the drooping leaves, this does indicate that the plant is not getting enough water. You can increase water or you can repot both plants together in a larger container.

Here are more questions about Avocado Trees