Ponytail Palm Trees

Ponytail Palm Plant

Anonymous added on December 26, 2017 | Answered

I have had a Ponytail Palm for over 20 years now...it's been handed down from my sister to my mother to me. It's probably around 6' tall and has a huge bulb... I am so sad because it's dying....it just started getting more and more brown shoots or stems and there's hardly any green left. I'm kind of to the point of just letting it die....because it is sooooo big and bulky to move that its just gotten to be a big hassle. But I am totally heart broken about this. Is there anyway of getting a starter out of this? I really want one. It has never had any babies.....just one big bulb and one huge trunk. Help please

Try to identify whether anything has changed in your ponytail palm's environment, such as a new water supply with more chlorine or salts, or a change in light conditions, or more frequent watering. It's also possible that it needs to be repotted in a slightly larger pot. Ponytail palms like to be root bound, but even they can get too big for their pot.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/ponytail-palm/how-to-move-ponytail-palms.htm

You could try bringing it outdoors for the summer to help it out.
Pups or babies are usually the only way to propagate ponytail palm.

00
Here are more questions about Ponytail Palm Trees