Ponytail Palm Trees

Ponytail Palm

clairebarnes added on February 22, 2018 | Answered

My plant is about 20 yrs old, 6-7' tall UNTIL in the moving process, about 2' broke off the top. It finally sprouted some leaves but they suddenly started "wilting" and now the top of the tree, about 4-5' feels soft. What can I do to revive the tree? It has great sentimental value so it's important to me to save it. Do I cut off the "soft" top which would expose the trunk (per the article I just read)? Please help...I keep my tree indoors & have good lighting (unless, like this week, we've had rain)

WillCreed

It appears that something other than the top section being broken has occurred. The broken stem would not cause the top section to wilt or rot. That seems to be more of a root/soil related problem.

During the move, was the plant exposed to unusually warm or cold temps? Did the plant go longer than usual between waterings? Was the plant uprooted during the move?

I do recommend that you cut off the soft stem tissue above the new sprout. If the roots are undamaged, then the new sprout should develop okay. Provide lots of indoor sunlight and water very sparingly.

00
Here are more questions about Ponytail Palm Trees