Ponytail Palm Trees

Pony Tail Palm

mdcbell437 added on January 20, 2018 | Answered

I have a fairly large pony tail palm ( bout 3 ft. tall)and have over watered it for a long period of time. I watered it when I would water the rest of my outdoor plants (Christmas cactus). I have noticed that the bulb as rotted t the soil line. This happened about 6 months ago. I'm not sure what to do other than very little watering. Will it recover and regrow the bulb or what should I do?

These are actually pretty drought tolerant. You should water these only when they are almost completely dry. Hopefully your plant has not sustained the infection long enough to infect the whole plant beyond repair.

What you can do, is let it dry out, then on your next watering, put a few teaspoons of peroxide in with the water. This will help to kill off any infection.

This article will refresh you on the care of these: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/ponytail-palm/ponytail-palm-care.htm

Here are more questions about Ponytail Palm Trees