Pomegranate Trees

Pollinating Pomegranate Trees

snakeskins added on February 4, 2015 | Answered

I did some research of my own about this and I'm now under the impression that all pomegranate "shrubs" can self pollinate. I have a pomegranate shrub of my own and would like to plant another about 10ft. away from it. I saw a few pomegranate trees (not decorative) for sale at a local Walmart and they consisted of a tree formation with a single trunk about a couple feet in length. Can different species of pomegranate trees and shrubs cross pollinate with each other. If so, would this create cross species of pomegranate fruit?

Sorry about sideways pic. Don't know how to make it right side up:)

maryhdyer

Pomegranates are self-pollinating, but cross-pollination of a second pomegranate tree nearby can increase the fertility of the tree and improve the quality of the fruit.

The second tree should be a different variety, but it must be compatible, meaning that the trees bloom at the same time. A knowledgeable nursery or greenhouse should be able to advise you about suitable trees for cross-pollination.

00
Here are more questions about Pomegranate Trees