Pokeweed

Poke Weed

Poke weed has volunteered in my garden and I have left it, as I have a bird/butterfly/bee garden and birds love the berries. However, I know that almost every part of the adult plant is poisonous to humans, and so I wondered about the deer which have nibbled almost all of one large plant. Are they, like birds, immune to its poison, or should I spray it for deer repellant like I do most of the rest of my plants?

It is indeed poisonous, but the deer are able to eat it without any issues. Go figure! That being said, this plant can quickly get out of hand if not kept under control. Should you find yourself having problems with pokeweed and need to get rid of it, however, this article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/pokeweed/controlling-pokeberry-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Pokeweed