Climbing Roses

Planting Rose Climbers

sheila51 added on October 3, 2014 | Answered

We are clearing a large area in our garden of some serious weeds, most of which we are digging up, but as we expect not to be able to get everything up, we want to use a strong weed killer as well. How long after applying the weed killer can we safely plant our new rose climbers?

After applying the weed killer, I would wait at least 3 to 4 months. Then when planting the new climbing rosebushes discard all of the dirt from the planting holes and use bagged amended garden soils to refill the holes around the climbing roses. I use one called EKO brand that is available at Home Depot and Lowe's stores here. I like the mix that comes in the bag with the yellow front panel on it as it has some alfalfa meal in with the soils mix and roses love that!

Here is a link to an article that you should fine useful :

Here are more questions about Climbing Roses