Open2

Planting in November

Wallyhoop added on November 12, 2017 | Answered

Planting in November I have about 30 varied Perrennials, very healthy ready to plant but nighttime temperatures have been in the 20s. Should I wait and Hope that the temperatures go up again or plant them and do I half to cover them?

If the plants are indoors, first slowly acclimate them to outdoors. If they drop their leaves, plant ASAP. Mulch well, 4-6 inches. (remove half in spring) It is late to be planting herbaceous perennials in zone 5b where I live so I hope you are in a warmer area. Ideally, planting is done 6 weeks before first frost. Expect the plants to go dormant quickly. Water weekly until the ground freezes to keep the soil from drying out. Roots will work to establish themselves until the ground freezes.

00
Here are more questions about Open2