Blackberry Plants

Planting Fruits Next to Each Other

Using 4 x 4's, I built an area for gardening and have it divided with 2 sections on top and one on bottom. It is roughly 9' x 6' large. I am growing strawberries in one section and have started to grow red raspberries in the other smaller section. The larger section I am growing tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, garlic and corn. I am using the wood to keep them divided and stop any spreading into the other sections. I am thinking of adding blackberries with the raspberries but I hear conflicting things about growing them near the other fruit; but if it is all new dirt and they are divided, will this prevent the spread of disease?

The raspberry and blackberry plants are susceptible to the same diseases. Planting them separately will help. Also, keep your berries planted away from your vegetable garden, if possible, as these are also susceptible to some of the diseases that affect tomatoes and other nightshade plants. It would probably be better to put your blackberries and raspberries elsewhere anyway since they need quite a bit of space to grow. These two berry plants should also be planted some distance apart. Wild blackberries are most likely to carry the fungus that affects these plants, so look for berry plants that are domesticated varieties and certified virus free.

00
Here are more questions about Blackberry Plants