Lima Beans

Planting Fordhook Limas

pdsimpson added on June 4, 2016 | Answered

I bought my seeds from an Amish farmer here in PA. I din't think to ask if the seeds were bush or pole. Now I'm not sure how to plant, ie will I need just stakes or a trellis system. Help please.

LuvaLeigh

Fordhook Lima Beans grow in bush form. No need for added support.

00
kh0001

It won't hurt a bit if you set up a trellis and your beans end up growing on a bush instead of a more vine-like plant. You should know pretty quickly whether they're coming up "viney" like snap peas or like a larger, fuller plant (a bush), and you can adjust your support system accordingly. Go ahead & set up either stakes or trellises and let yourself enjoy the surprise!

Here's an article on growing Lima beans that may help you: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/beans/how-to-grow-lima-beans.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lima Beans