Crape Myrtle Trees

Planting Crape Myrtle

mamasue added on October 2, 2011 | Answered

I received a bare root crape myrtle in May. I have kept it planted in a large ceramic pot. When I planted it, the tree was about the width of a thin pencil. It is now about 30" at its tallest point and it has 5 main branches, some of which are getting a woody strength but some are still very flexible. I am in southwest PA and we are probably a few weeks from a frost. I am concerned if the tree is strong enough to withstand the weight of snow. If I plant it now, what do I do to protect the tree? If I keep it indoors for this winter, what do I do? It is very healthy. Thank you. Susan

I would not bring it indoors. It will not be happy there. If you plant it in the ground now, I would consider protecting it with a chicken wire frame filled leaves or straw (put in place after your first frost). This will keep the snow off and will help insulate it against the cold for the first year. After this year, it should not need additional protection, provided it is a crape myrtle suitable for your area.

Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees