Climbing Roses

Planting Climbing Rose in the Fall

natalia.ratnikova added on October 6, 2016 | Answered

I have purchased a quality climbing rose bush in container three days ago, beginning October. I was going to plant it near the house foundation in zone 5 (Northern IL). It is pretty warm and nice weather here, and my rose looks all green and healthy with some flower buds about to open. The article at https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/planting-rose-bushes-in-the-fall.htm says you can only plant a dormant rose (without leaves) in the fall, and this should happen at least one month before the first frost. How can I force my rose into a dormant state? Should I keep it in container as a house plant until spring? Or if there is still a chance for it to survive if planted in the soil: - how big should be the planting hole? - how much and what type of soil should I fill in the planting hole? Thank you for any recommendations you can give. Natalia.

Hello Natalia. If you want to go ahead and plant the rosebush, and it is up near the house, then it should have some good protection in such a location that will help with the planting being successful. Do not give the rosebush any fertilizer that is high nitrogen or that would stimulate more growth. Once planted water the rosebush in with some water that has a product called Super Thrive in it. Super Thrive is great at helping with any transplant shock or stress with the vitamin like nutrients it provides. Leaving her in the pot until Spring is really best though this late in the season/year. In the early spring once the ground is workable and frost danger has passed, take a look at this article on planting roses. Climbing rose are not much different than other roses when it comes to the planting other than the support structure they need. Article Link: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/planting-rose-bushes.htm

10
Here are more questions about Climbing Roses