Bulb Care

Planting Bulbs in Augusta, GA

I have 50 grape hyacinth bulbs and 25 trumpet daffodil bulbs I planned on planting together. When is the best time for my climate? What is the best soil conditioner to add to sandy soil for these bulbs? Thanks.

If it gets cold enough where you live to chill them in the ground, you can plant them now. But, if it does not get cold enough for them to get the chill time they need to flower, you will need to pre-chill them and plant them after they are pre-chilled. You are right on the border of where people can plant directly in the ground and where people need to pre-chill. If you see other people growing these bulbs frequently in your area, then you should be fine and can plant now. But, if they are an unusual sight where you live, this would be an indicator that you need to pre-chill.

Here are more questions about Bulb Care