Fig Tree

Chicago Fig in Planter

Stephen.JM added on August 29, 2016 | Answered

I planted a Chicago hardy fig tree in a 25 gallon barrel. I was trying to figure out a way to winterize it. My wife said why don't we put it on a dollie and bring it into garage over the winter. I think that would be a great idea, but the only thing is - I don't think there's any way to lift it onto dollie. Can anyone let me know how much this should weigh before my wife and I hurt ourselves, or let me know how to winterize it so it can last the harsh NJ zone 7 winters? I know these trees can go below -17 degrees but it's still young and in a container I don't think helps. Thank you, Stephen

It's true that container trees are less winter hardy than trees in the ground.

A local hardware or home improvement store might have available a hand truck or other tool for moving heavy objects. These might allow you to move the tree without fully lifting it onto a dolly. Perhaps you could ask for advice there.

If this doesn't work, see these articles for winter protection ideas:

Here are more questions about Fig Tree