Planted Shallots

pearl added on July 12, 2012 | Answered

I planted shallots several months ago. Now there are long green stems (tops) and some have rounded tops with whitish "seeds. " Does this mean I can begin harvesting them for cooking? Or are they still not ready, based on what I've told you? I live in southwestern Connecticut.

When to harvest shallots can be tricky for some, as this usually depends on when planting took place. Generally, fall plantings are ready to harvest in winter or spring while those planted in spring may be harvested in mid-summer to early fall.

Harvest your shallots when the bulbs are about a quarter inch around but wait for the leaves to yellow before lifting. For an extended harvest season, plant and harvest the largest shallots first, replanting smaller bulbs in their place for harvesting later.

Here are more questions about Shallots