Nasturium Plants

Picking Edible Flowers

I have planted edible nasturtiums, pansies, and violas, and like to use the flowers for salads. My question is about picking them. Do I pick these flowers at the top of the stem or the bottom (i.e. will a new flower grow in place of the one I picked, or should I take the whole stem off)? One gardener told me to take the whole stem of violas. A different gardener told me he doesn't know the answer. Me, well, I barely know a tulip from a sequoia, so I thought I'd better ask someone who does. Thank you very much in advance!

I would imagine this would depend on the types of flowers, as removing blooms of some plants does encourage reblooming. For the most part, however, I think taking the entire stems would be suitable enough for you. There will be plenty more stems and flowers in their place.

Here are more questions about Nasturium Plants