Phalaenopsis Orchids

Phalaenopsis Orchid

OrchidWorld added on October 22, 2017 | Answered

I have a Phalaenopsis orchid with 2 spikes. After the flowers have fall off I cut the spike just above the last node from the base. After 1 week one spike is yellow and I think it will dry out. Is this ok to happen?

Yes, since it has been cut short, it will die. I normally just cut the top part off of them, as these will shoot more flowers from the same spike if you leave it. If not, it will have to muster up the energy to put out an entire new flower spike. This will not hurt it, but you can make your orchid more efficient by leaving most of the flower stalk. Here is an article for more information on the plant: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/orchids/phalaenopsis-orchids-post-bloom.htm

10
Here are more questions about Phalaenopsis Orchids