Peony Plant

Peony Transplanting

I have 4 peony bushes that have been in my family for 3 generations (Grandmother started them). I need to break up and move them. They have outgrown their current flower bed. When is the best time of year to do this and how?

These plants dislike being transplanted and can take years to bloom after transplanting. Peonies are very finicky when replanted. It may take them a year or two before they recover from transplant shock. That said, give them a little time and they will start to bloom again. Early fall is a good time to dig up or transplant peonies, though if the weather is not too hot in your location, you can do so now. This article will help with dividing your plants: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/peony/dividing-peony-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Peony Plant