Pencil Cactus

Pencil Cactus After a Freeze

Mrmle added on January 19, 2018 | Answered

I have had my pencil plant for a few years, but this is the first time we’ve had a hard freeze in our area ( New Orleans) in a very long time; my plant was left out during this freeze because I didn’t know it was going to get below freezing so it has turned completely brown from the freeze; my question is does it have a chance to come back to life after the freeze? Thanks Marvin E.

This is unfortunate. These will not tolerate freezing temperatures... You will have to cut away any dead material. PLEASE wear gloves. This is a type of euphorbia, and its sap is toxic. You will have to keep it in a warm location in full to partial sun. If there is still any life in the roots, then it is likely that it will come back.

Unfortunately there is a great possibility to the loss of this plant. With some extra care, you may be able to bring this one back, though.

Here are more questions about Pencil Cactus