Houseplant Problems

Overwintering Houseplants Indoors

fsaforo2013 added on January 28, 2016 | Answered

Once again, my houseplants that were thriving outside and all but all perished inside during the winter months. I put them in a room with good light and temperature. All but two have survived. They have currently been moved to the basement facing a window. I love growing plants and just have not been successful keeping them alive through the winter, such a huge loss of money and time. I can't afford a greenhouse just yet and since I am renting, it wouldn't be feasible either. Hope you can help me keep my future and still current ones alive. Thanks Flo Saforo

Investigate the exact plants that you are growing.
Gardening Know How is a great place to do this! Use the 'search' tab at the top of the Home page to search for articles on your specific plants.

Some plants may need to be allowed to go dormant for the winter months, while others need to be cared for throughout the winter with more specific needs.
Watering needs generally change while indoors and even though you have a sunny window, this may not be enough light for most outdoor varieties.
Plants can be placed under grow lights to help give them additional light.

Lack of humidity can also be a cause of plant decline in the winter. Misting some plants will help as well as setting the plant on a tray of pebbles and water.

00
Here are more questions about Houseplant Problems