Hosta Plant

Overwintering Hosta Bulbs

Patricia J. Moore added on October 30, 2017 | Answered

I have some hostas, that I am going to have to move due to some demolition where they are planted.I would like to be able to save them and plant in the spring. If I did them up now in November before the ground freezes, what is the best way to store them. I have a garage but it is not insulated. Our basement is heated so I was afraid that would be too warm. Please offer any suggestions you have. Thanks Patti M.

They do require a dormancy, where they must remain around 40 degrees. If your garage stays around this temperature, then this would be a perfect place to winter them in container. This article mentions container grown hosta, but the same care applies for wintering in container: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/winter-daphne/daphne-plant-types.htm

00
Here are more questions about Hosta Plant