Verbena Plants
Q.

Overwintering annuals

Zone 97759 | Trudie Vlach added on September 19, 2018 | Answered

Hi -live in Sisters, OR, gets below 0. Can I put the Joseph Coat Verbena that I grow all summer in pot, cut back and dig in or better can it be overwintered in pot in garage? I grow them in big pots all summer but the first frost they die. These are the verbena that have woody stems. Any ideas? I also have a sun room with a heater. Thanks so much.

A.
    A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

This species is actually Alternanthera. They are only hardy in zones 10 and 11. They do not have a dormancy, so they will have to continue growing in spring.

I believe the best option for you will be to grow these in container, then bring them in during the winter to let them keep growing in a bright locations.

This article will give you more information on the care of these: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/bromeliad/getting-bromeliads-to-bloom.htm

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
    Verbena Plants
    Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
    Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More