Lilac Bushes

Overnight Freeze on Lilacs

An overnight freeze has been forecasted for my area in Barnegat, NJ. I have 3 Lilac bushes that were new last year, and hadn't bloomed yet. Now they all have several flower buds appearing on the branches. Will the freeze of 25-28 degrees tonight destroy them? What can I do to save these flowers? Thanks!!

Yes, the frost may cause damage. As you are only expecting a mild freeze, I would recommend covering the plants with a bedsheet. This should be enough to keep the frost from settling on the buds. If you can, a few jugs of hot water placed under the sheets as well will also keep the air a bit warmer under there. If you have not read it, this article will also be helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/frost-how-to-protect-your-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lilac Bushes