Tree Problems

Over or Under Watering

Orrac1e added on October 28, 2015 | Answered

I recently purchased a pencil pine tree from our local plant nursery, and need a bit more information on how to care for it. We were instructed to leave it in an area with full sunlight and also to "water till overflow." We've had this plant for about a month now and I notice it is not looking as green as before. The tips are turning a light green and some nearer the bottom are going brown. I don't know if it's a result of under or over watering as I'm not entirely sure how much water the plant needs!! The staff at the plant nursery repotted the plant into a larger pot promising that it would grow at least a few inches more but I'm afraid I might be drowning it with water. Would really appreciate some help, as I can't seem to find much information on this plant. We live in a year round hot and humid climate, temp averaging around 32 degrees Celsius. Thanks in advance!!

I think your plant my be overwatered and perhaps the container was to large for the plant.

Your plant also may be suffering from the excessive heat and sunshine. You can move the tree to a more sheltered location to help it acclimate to it's new home. Morning sun and afternoon shade.

The soil should be a well draining sandy/loamy mix.

Water only in the morning. The tree should be watered deeply but make sure you feel the soil, when it is dry to within 1 inch of the top it is time to water.

00
Here are more questions about Tree Problems