Hibiscus Plants

Outdoor Hibiscus Trees

How do I care for and protect my hibiscus trees during the winter months, and do they need to be cut back or trimmed? I live in southwest Louisiana.

While overwintering indoors is always preferrable, especially for tropical varieties, one of the best ways to protect outdoor hibiscus that are planted in the ground is to mulch over the root zone and around the main stem of the plant. For additional protection (such as when extreme temps are expected), wrap the entire hibiscus in heavy frost cloth, tarp, or burlap. And yes, it definitely helps to prune back the plant but only AFTER winter as the foliage will help insulate the plant. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hibiscus/tips-for-pruning-hibiscus-plants-when-to-prune-hibiscus.htm

00
Here are more questions about Hibiscus Plants