Pear Trees

Ornamental Pear Tree Is Shedding Bark

brownsheryl added on April 1, 2015 | Answered

My 2 ornamental pear trees are losing their bark. We have been in a drought. Would this cause it or do I need to spray something on it?

Besides the bark, is there any other tree distress symptoms, such as in the branches and leaves? Where are the trees losing their bark - at the base? only on one side? How much bark has been lost?

Drought makes trees susceptible to pests and, hence, creates unhealthy trees. Take a close look at the affected areas of bark - do you see any insects or insect holes near or underneath the bark?

Is it possible the trees sustained a winter injury?

Let's start with that. In the meantime, I am going to refer you to this article which outlines the reasons for shedding bark on a tree:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/peeling-bark-on-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Pear Trees