Something wrong with my orchid. The roots are turning black, but the leaves look healthy and a new leaf is coming too. Please, can someone help me what to do next:
1) Why roots are turning black?
2) The buds are not opening.
3) What has infected them?
4) Do I need to fertilize them?
5) The color of the flowers is fading.
6) Why does it have a white hole/spot on the leaf, nothing below the leaf?
Thank you all for your help. Regards.
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
1)-3) If the black spots on roots are also mushy, this could be a root rot caused by overwatering. It can be corrected by watering less. If they are not mushy, they could be a toxicity issue: orchids can be sensitive to some chemicals and salts in tap water which can build up over time. Rainwater if available (or purified water) can help.
4) This article will help you:
5) This is natural as the flowers age.
6) The spot on the leaf could be from physical damage. It is small so it shouldn't harm the plant, but the hole won't close.