Orchid Plants

Orchid Plant From Costa Rica

momcrossman added on November 10, 2015 | Answered

My son brought me back a "real orchid plant" from Costa Rica. The package includes a vial with an orchid plant in it and a "starter square" which serves as a substratum for transplanting the orchid. My question is, do I put the orchid JUST in that starter square or do I use a pot with dirt and put the orchid in the starter square with the dirt? Sorry to bother you with such a dumb question, but the directions don't say anything. Thanks you for your attention--don't know if this thing will grow in Michigan anyway, but I'd like to try.

Never use regular potting soil with an orchid.
The substratum is generally a material that allows air to get to the roots and dries out quickly.
Get a pot, plastic or clay that holds the roots comfortably.
Use the material sent with the orchid and if you need more material, purchase an Orchid Potting Mix.
It is made up of a bark mix that is suited for orchids.

With a bit of care you should be able to enjoy your orchid!

Here are some links for you with more information.

Here are more questions about Orchid Plants