Onions

Onions Didn’t Form Bulbs

bluenow85 added on March 28, 2017 | Answered

I live in San Francisco, and I bought two onion sets last May (I didn't realize it was that long ago until I looked up my receipt). They were Wethersfield Red and Yellow Rock. They grew, but never formed bulbs. They're in full sun, well draining soil, and are spaced about 3 inches apart. I was wondering if you had any idea why this may be? Also, they are still in the ground, so should I pull them at this point and start over? Thank you, Brian

This article discusses some possibilities:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/onion/onion-bulb-formation.htm

Planting too deeply can also inhibit bulb formation- onions should be planted very shallowly. Also, be sure the soil doesn't dry out too much and is not too compacted or rocky, since this can cause the onions to have difficult expanding.

Onions will flower the second year but not produce bulbs, so it's best to pull them and start again.

00
bluenow85

Thanks for the info!

00
Here are more questions about Onions