Old Rose Bush/Drought

I have a very old rose bush that I have neglected all summer. We are in a severe drought. How can I tell if it is too late to save the plant? Could it have just entered a dormant stage? Should I water it at such a late hour? I am not sure what kind of rose it is. It is a kind of old fashioned, deep red rose. The plant is as large as a small tree. Thanks for your time.

Most older roses have a very good root base established so watering it well is appropriate. I would recommend watering the rosebush with water that has both a product called Super Thrive and a good root stimulator mixed into the water. Water the rosebush with this mix the next 4 to 5 times it needs watering. In extremely hot weather many rosebushes will go into a bit of a dormant state just as they do in the winter. Once the weather starts to cool off they will normally start growing again. You could also take 1 cup of Epsom Salts and sprinkle it around the base of the bush, work it into the soils lightly and water it in.