Sago Palm Trees

Old, Mature Sago Palms in So. Calif. Not Receiving Any Water

fredishizu added on September 29, 2012 | Answered

I am taking bottles of water and trying to reach trunk/root system, but it is so hard with the fronds poking me. Do cycads "drink" rainwater from their trunks or crowns as someone told me? In that case does throwing water on the tops help? These particular plants are at a dysfunctioning nursery where water has been cut off. I believe they are at least 70 years old.

The don't drink from the crown and trunk so much, but pouring the water in these areas will help as the water will make its way down to the base of the plant. Also, the root system of the plants will grow out as far as a foot beyond the edges of the frond canopy above, so you don't need to get the water at the base of the plant in order to water it. Just somewhere around the plant, as far out as the fronds reach will be enough.

Sagos don't need too much water, so whatever you can get them should be enough.

00
Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees