Oats

Oats (for Cat Grass vs. For Human Food)

Charlene Minifie added on October 4, 2017 | Answered

Love your site. I bought Oat Seeds from the pet store and grow it here at home for Cat Grass. It dies off quickly in the little containers I grow it in. Wondering if these are the same oat seeds used by farmers to grow oat fields. Because mine don't grow tall w/ husks and seeds at all (and like I say just die off w/in a week or two). Could this be because the soil isn't deep enough, and if it was (like in a field), they would grow into oat stalks? So yes, I read that oats are the same as "cat grass," but I don't see how, being that mine planted for the cat at home just die quickly. Thank you so very much, Char 1greentroll@gmail.com Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Yes, the reason they grow and die so quickly is that they are constricted for space in the container. If you use a very large pot, or sow in the open, they will do much better.

00
Here are more questions about Oats