Norfolk Island Pine Trees

Norfolk Pine

My small potted Norfolk Pine tree is drying up and curling at the ends. I water it and the water goes through and out to the bottom dish. What can I do to save it?

This is a sign that the plant is either overwatered, underwatered or is not getting enough humidity.

My first feeling is that the soil has dried out so much that water just runs right off and is not absorbed. Try submerging the pot in the sink or a bucket of water, and just let it sit there for an hour or so to thoroughly wet the soil. Then pull it out of the water, let drain thoroughly, then replace on its saucer. Check the soil moisture every few days by digging into it with a spoon, at least half the way into the pot. It should be damp enough to almost stick together when you squeeze it, but leave no visible moisture on your fingers. Soft and cool and nice is how the soil should feel, then you can water it again. You can cut off the dead curled ends from the branches, but be warned, NIPs don't like going so dry, and it might not make it. But don't be discouraged - try again if you lose this one.

Here are more questions about Norfolk Island Pine Trees