Norfolk Island Pine Trees

Norfolk Island Pine Tree

Cecyle added on February 6, 2015 | Answered

I bought a Norfolk Pine, about 3' tall for Christmas. It's beautiful. We have been having a very cold winter for Auburn so I haven't taken the tree outside. My question is, how many trunks should it have? From the top of the dirt are 5 distinct trunks/branches. Will there be more? The pictures that I've looked at only have one trunk. Wouldn't a plant with more than one trunk be a shrub? All of the trees appeared to be the same and all were marked under the pot and with a hanging label clearly stating that it was a Norfolk Island Pine. I just don't remember the trunks/branches. How wide around will the trunk get? How wide will the branches become? How tall will it get as a houseplant?

Thank you very much, Cecyle Cecyle60@gmail.com

maryhdyer

Norfolk Island pine should have only one trunk, so you will probably want to remove all but one central trunk. Multiple trunks are often an indication that the plant has been injured in the past, (such as a hard frost.)

Here is an article about caring for an indoor Norfolk pine. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search/

00
Here are more questions about Norfolk Island Pine Trees