Water Gardening

Need Help With Algae in My Fountain

yesjess added on April 6, 2013 | Answered

I have an outside fountain and it keeps growing algae. It's a big one so can't just pop it apart and clean it up. Was going to use (No more algae) to stop it but can't do that since the birds and my dog drink out of it. Can't use bleach for same reason. Can anyone tell me what I can do to clean this up and keep it that way without making the animals sick and having to sweet talk my husband into taking it apart so I can clean it to have him have a messed up back for two days afterward.

I would suggest to get it drain out and clean before you proceed any further. If you can't get the ultrviolet light system, you would have to drain pretty regularly. I am no expert :-), but I do have an outside water fountain which I bought last year. I know the feeling.

I installed an ultraviolet light system in my pond. No more algae. Not inexpensive, but has worked great for 4 years. Blue or green fool coloring would help a little.

Here are more questions about Water Gardening