Squash Plants

My Squash Has Rotton Roots That Are Yellow

cazzmear added on May 29, 2013 | Answered

I am a first time gardener and trying really hard. I have noticed that my squash and zucchini have roots that look like they have been hollowed out. It feels mushy and have a foam like look. Although they are blooming and they look healthy, is it safe to leave them or should I pull them?

One of the most common squash problems: Squash vine borers. These fat, white, 1" long larvae burrow into the stems and exude masses of yellow-green, sawdustlike excrement. Slit stems lengthwise above injury with a sharp knife and kill larvae. Cover cut stems with moist soil so they will form new roots. Injecting stems with BTK or parasitic nematodes may also control borers. To reduce problems, plant the cultivar which is resistant to vine borers. Or spray base of stems with BTK once a week in late spring and early summer.
This article might help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/squash-pests-identifying-and-preventing-squash-vine-borer.htm

00
Here are more questions about Squash Plants