Sour Cherry Trees

My Sour Cherry Trees

nancymatt added on July 8, 2012 | Answered

My sour cherry trees, which used to produce abundant fruit by the first week of July, have failed to blossom much and have not produced ripe fruit for two years. No disease is evident. Last spring was excessivly wet, and this season has been hot and dry. I have never fertilized these trees, which are about 20 years old.

It sounds like a nutrient issue, likely a nitrogen/phosphorus inbalance. Too much nitrogen in the soil will prodcue healthy growth but limit flowering and fruiting production. Try adding some more phosphorus-rich fertilizer or bone meal to the soil to encourage more flowering and fruiting. Plants need phosphorus for flowering and fruiting. Without it, there will be no blooms and thus no fruit. Here is more information:

Here are more questions about Sour Cherry Trees