My Roses Grow but Won’t Bloom

erogers added on July 9, 2011 | Answered

What can I do to get them to bloom? It only bloomed once and that was it. I even used rose food. What can I do?

I am not sure if your rosebush is a newly planted rosebush or an older rosebush. However, if it is a very old rosebush it may be one that only blooms once but that would have to be a very old rosebush. If it is a newly planted rosebush, many times they will go ahead and open the buds that came on the bush but then it will take longer for the next bloom cycle. The root system is trying to get established, which takes alot of energy. Once the bush has gotten its root zone set well enough, it will then concentrate back on making blooms. If the weather had turned very hot where you are the heat stress will slow some rosebushes down as well. Keep the rosebush watered well but not soggy wet. It should start setting buds when the stress it is under eases up. Sometimes there is insect stress too so look the bush over well. If insects are getting after the bush, spraying with a good insecticide may be in order.

00