Rose Bushes

Jeanv added on May 19, 2012 | Answered

My rose bushes have different stems approx. 4-5 inches apart. Can these be separated and replanted?

You can try to root them and then plant them but they may not take off. The resulting rose may not be as hardy as the original rose either and thus not live. I am also wondering if this is a grafted rosebush. If it is, the root stock could be sending up its own shoots along with the canes of the desired top part of the rose. In that case, you would want to remove all canes that are coming up from below the union or graft point of the rosebush. The root stock can overwhelm the desired upper part, thus killing the rosebush you desire to have. Please take a look at this article I wrote for our website Gardening Know How >>> https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/own-root-roses-grafted-roses.htm

00