Pole Beans

My Pole Beans Are Not Flowering, What Might Be Wrong?

ba.nana added on July 8, 2012 | Answered

I did plant my seeds a bit late this year but the plants are growing fine and climbing. However, I have had no flowers at all. We have also had extreme heat for the past two weeks.

Likely there was too much nitrogen in the soil and not enough phosphorus. When these are out of balance, you get big plants and no flowers/beans. Have you soil tested and add bone meal to the soil.

00
newbee

There is a home kit that allows you to test four elements, PH, nkp, Nitrogen, Potash and Phosphorus. I did the test but also had my soil test through Penn State co-op. and even though the home test does not give number it was right on when it showed that my ph was slight high, my potash and phosphorus was off the chart and I had no nitrogen in my soil. I wouldn't rely on this test if the problem is big but it's a good guide. Note, I am no pro. In fact, this is my first year growing vegetables but I have done a lot of reading. I know more about soil then I thought possible but it's really interesting.

00
Here are more questions about Pole Beans