Orange Trees

Orange Trees

My mom has two orange trees with lots of thorns and no blooms. The trees have been through droughts and harsh winters and no pruning. One tree is a blood orange. I think the other is a satsuma. They were not pruned and looked very wild. I convinced my mom to let me attempt pruning after I looked at online videos. I dug around the trees watered fertilized and treated with neem oil for what I thought were aphids. The trees have showed growth but no blooms. How often should the trees be watered and fertilized? Is there hope for these trees?

If you are not getting any blossoms, then it definitely sounds like a nutrient imbalance. Even though you are fertilizing, the soil is getting too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus. An abundance of nitrogen will result in plenty of lush, green foliage growth with little to no blooming. A high phosphorus fertilizer will help offset this, or bone meal. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/phosphorus-plant-growth.htm

00
Here are more questions about Orange Trees