Clover Plants

My Grass – Q 2

davewalsh29 added on December 30, 2017 | Answered

Hi there, Thanks for coming back to me on my original question re clover in my garden. I read through the articles you attached and not too sure its white clover that's growing (although it could be). Can you have a look at the attached pictures and let me know, and if not, how do i go about treating this? Also, would drainage holes help the situation at all? And finally, would you have any articles on reseeding in the spring if that's the only option left to me? Thanks so much Dave

I can't really tell as the pictures aren't clear enough for me to see. It looks to be wild geranium, possibly. Either way, reseeding shoudl help drastically. This article will help:

I would love a close up to confirm but this looks like creeping charlie, aka ground ivy, Glechoma. This is a stubborn vining plant in the mint family. If you have the patience of Job, you can sit in the grass and carefully remove it. Any root left behind will generate a new plant so hand pulling is better for catching an invasion early than treating a large area such as yours. Herbicides are usually necessary; get one rated for creeping charlie. More than one application may be necessary. This article recommends dicamba. I prefer triclopyr. As always, read and follow instructions. The vine takes over by shading out the grass so you will likely need to reseed after the weed is gone. The herbicide instructions will tell you when reseeding is possible, usually 1-4 weeks after herbicide treatment depending on what you use. Check out this article:

Here are more questions about Clover Plants