Corn Plants

My First Time Growing Decorative Corn

Sandy7jb added on August 31, 2015 | Answered

I'm a first time corn grower. I chose decorative corn. I am confused as to when to pick it. I've read to let it stay on the stalk until it dries but the squirrels decided to eat several ears. I went back online and someone said to pick it 2 weeks after the silks turn brown and fall off. So I picked those and when I pulled back the husks, the ears were not fully developed even though the silks on the outside had browned and fallen off. Several of the silks INSIDE the husk were still white and the cobs were only developed on one side or hardly at all. So disappointing. I wanted to decorate with this corn in fall. P.S. It is the end of August here in the Midwest. Did I harvest too early? How could the white silks be pollinated when they were on the inside of the husk? I did hand pollinate with a paint brush too. Thanks.

Though you likely did harvest to soon, there may be a few other issues in play with your corn.
Pollination issues are the most common reasons for ears not filling out.
Soil conditions, moisture levels and temperatures can also be areas that cause corn growing problems.
Don't try to fret to much, as experienced gardeners can experience the same issues you have encountered.
A soil test next spring prior to planting can help you determine what the soil may need.
I myself don't grow Ornamental Corn, due to squirrels and raccoons!

Here is a few links to help with growing information and some tools to use for next years planting.

Here are more questions about Corn Plants