Q.My Edible Garden Has Wild Nightshade All Over. Is My Edible Plants Now Toxic?
People said growing nightshade next to herbs cause the soil to be toxic from the nightshade varieties,making any edible foodsstuffs inedible/toxic/cause reactions in people with sensitivity to nightshades have worse reactions. Wild nightshade varieties such as red nightshade, black nightshade, common nightshade, black nightshade all grow wild all over my county. In my yard its hard to keep them under control and out of the garden of herbs, edible flowers, & plants. I’ve heard that growing nightshade & other poisonous/toxic/non-ingestible plants in/around the edible plants will cause the whole garden to grow toxic/inedible as well. Idk if this is true but before I have to harvest the garden I’d like to know since I plan on selling them at the farmers market. I can’t allow people to get sick from the foods they paid for, sick from my veggies/fruits, so can you please explain? Google unfortunately won’t give a clear answer giving both yes deadly & no absolutely safe in the same article which confuses me. Sorry so long….thank you!
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
This is an old wive's tale. This is untrue. Your plants are, still, safe for consumption. Just do not consume the nightshade, itself.
Here is an article to help you to get rid of it: