Crape Myrtle Trees

My Crepe Myrtle Has a Moss Like Ball Growing on Its Branches

sassiegranny added on June 19, 2014 | Answered

My Crepe Myrtle is beautifully bloomed, but I've noticed there's several Moss Balls all through my tree on the branches. What should I do? A neighbor told me it will kill my beautiful tree. Plus, it will spread to my other trees.

This would be ball moss, Tillandsia recurvata. It is a bromeliad, related to Spanish moss. IT WILL NOT KILL YOUR TREE. It colonizes open places or dead branches within the tree, because it likes the filtered sunlight. If one is seeing more and more of it on a tree, something else is killing branches, and one might want to investigate this. If you feel the need to remove it, the process is the same as getting rid of Spanish moss: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/spanish-moss/spanish-moss-removal.htm

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees