Crape Myrtle Trees

Crape Myrtle Grows Only From the Bottom

Pjmclau545 added on May 17, 2015 | Answered

My crape myrtle grows only from the bottom of the tree. No leaves grow from the branches. What is wrong? Two large crape myrtles were planted in my yard two years ago. Last year none of the branches got any leaves. New shoots came from the bottom. I left the shoots, hoping that this year those shoots would get leaves and eventually flower, but it looks like the same thing is happening again this year. I have another crape myrtle in another area of my yard and it is fine. What is wrong?

I have linked to an article below that outlines the reasons for crepe myrtles not leafing out that will help you. Of the reasons listed in the article, I strongly suspect that your leaf buds were injured with the cold winter temperatures - we have had some harsh winters these past few years. In addition, the shoots - or root suckers - you mentioned should be removed to prevent competition for nutrients and moisture.

Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees