Butternut Squash Plants

Butternut Squash Leaves Are Turning Yellow

My butternut squash leaves are turning yellow fast. I have checked the stems for fluid and it is not discolored or slimy. I cannot find any borers and this happened within a week period. I have tried to keep adequate water on them as well. The thing about it is, that it happened in less than a week. I used Miracle Grow garden soil and added bagged cow manure before planting. I have acorn squash next to them and Zucchini and they look OK. If you can suggest anything, please do. Thanks, Jacob Seitz ALSO, can I pull the squash which are not ripe yet and process them for freezing?

You can harvest unripe butternut and ripen it indoors but it will never produce the juicy sweet flavor of a sun ripened butternut. After you ripen it indoors I would make haste in freezing it because it will not store as well as those ripened on the vine.

Here is an article that tells you how to ripen indoors:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/ripen-butternut-squash-after-picking-78973.html

How often do you water them? Under or over-watering could cause yellowing of the leaves.

Squash roots spread out in the top 12 inches of soil and grow several inches per day, competition with other shallow-rooted vegetables can deprive leaves of the nitrogen they need to form chloroplasts -- the cells that keep them green. Since you have acorn squash and zucchini nearby, this could be a distinct possibility.

Here is an article outlining reasons and fixes for yellowing squash leaves, this may give you some other leads:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/why-squash-leaves-turn-yellow.htm

00
Here are more questions about Butternut Squash Plants