Burning Bush Plants

My Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

My burning Bush does not turn red. I have had it for 2 years. It's very healthy. Gets plenty of sun. All the other plants around it do great, Knockout roses, Maple tree, Oak tree. Why no red? In Zone 7, Gainesville, Va.

There are two things that can keep a burning bush from turning color. One is too little sun (which from what you said we can count out) and the other is the temperature does not get cool enough. Leaves are most brilliant in fall when there is a steady cold period. If you have been having warm snaps, these warm temps break down the chemicals that cause the leaves to be red, resulting in less brilliant leaves in the fall.

The other possibility is that it was a mislabeled shrub. You may have a green euonymus, rather than a red one. They are difficult to tell apart and sometimes the growers can get them mixed up.

Here are more questions about Burning Bush Plants