Azalea Plants

My Azalea’s Bark Is Peeling Off

The bark is peeling off my azalea bush. Can you tell me what I can do to stop this? The bush has not looked very healthy the past few years, stunted growth, and I'm afraid it will die soon if I don't do something. We do have ground moles in our yard, but don't seem to be in this mulch bed.

Sounds like cold damage. Cold injury appears as peeling, sloughing, splitting or cracking bark often near the soil surface. Injured plants or branches may die in early spring, late summer or several years later. Flower buds may also be killed without damage to the stems. Cold damaged plants should be pruned back below the injured bark as soon as possible.

Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/tips-for-saving-cold-damaged-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Azalea Plants