Asparagus Plants

Asparagus Tastes Bitter

Peterzap added on July 14, 2016 | Answered

I live in Toronto, Canada. I have asparagus plant, planted from root crown about 30 years ago. I believe it is Jersey Variety, doesn't bloom and fruit so it must be male. However, it does taste bitter, sometimes more, sometimes less. The soil is very poor, sandy and soil around spears has little sunlight only in the morning. Later when plant grows to about 2 feet, it does get more sun, as it is located next to garage. If you can think of reason why bitterness is there, I would very much appreciate your help. Could it be shade, poor soil, age of the plant, weather, way I harvest (I cut spears only for short period, mostly only few in May). Thank You Peter

Peterzap

Actually, I would like to add to my question more info. This old asparagus plant is just alone, one plant surrounded by grass on one side and flowers on the other side. Could it be that somehow asparagus flavor is affected by roots of surrounding plants and grass?? Thank You Peter

00
Here are more questions about Asparagus Plants